Switching from Quicksilver to Launchbar

As the development of Quicksilver came to a hold some time ago, and the once rock-solid launcher (yeahh, I know it's way more than that... NERD) gets more and more unstable with each new revision of Leopard, I finally decided to switch to launchbar.


After a week of use (mostly as an applauncher) I can honestly say, give it a try.

Licensing starts at US$19,95 which definitely is a reasonable price.

Get it at:


Disable auto correction of the iPhone 3G 2.0.1

As I'm constantly switching between languages, the auto correction "feature" of the iPhone is driving me nuts. And it's no help at all.

Now, here's how to switch it off:

1. SSH into your iPhone (must be jailbroken, use fugu or SSH in a terminal

2. Go to /System/Library/TextInput

3. Rename TextInput_XX.bundle to whatever you like (perhaps .bundle.BACKUP)

The XX stands for your country code. So, you know... use EN for english, DE for german... I think you're getting the point.

And if you want to switch it on again, just remove the .BACKUP from the filename.


If you want to have some kind of on/off switch for the auto-correction, just try this little workaround:

1. Install a language you don't use, I used fucking french for this purpose.

2. Delete the TextInputBundle for the just installed language as shown above.

3. Now, when you want NO auto-correction, just switch to french or whatever dumbass-language you chose.

OPENDNS.com - a good alternative for your provider's DNS

As some of you may know, I experienced a series of problems with my cable-provider UNITYMEDIA. Their DNS went up and down like a cheap hooker on a busy weekend.

I found an easy, fast, cheap (read: FREE) and reliable alternative for my provider's crappy DNS which seems to be serviced by a bunch of retarded, one armed monkeys.


Just change your DNS to: and

That's it. Works fine for me.

First restore on the iPhone 3G - How to restore your iPhone 3G in a few easy to follow steps

I did it! I did it!!! I broke my iPhone 3G. :)

Don't know EXACTLY what happened, but I think after the installation of SHOZU things gone horribly wrong. My phone wouldn't start up anymore.

So here's what I had to do:

1) Connect your iPhone to your computer, make sure iTunes is running.

2) Now turn it ON. You should see at LEAST the backgroundlight turning on.

3) Hold the POWER Button (on TOP, dummy) and the Home button (hmm... which one could this be...) TOGETHER until the screen goes DARK.

4) Now RELEASE the Power button, but STILL HOLDING the home button.

5) iTunes should come up with a screen reading something like "blabla have to restore your blabla"

6) Do whatever iTunes tells you to do.

Shozu on the iPhone and no WiFi anymore

Just had to restore my iPhone because of a unexpected loss of WiFi connectivity. I couldn't figure out what happened until I reinstalled each and every app one by one.

It turns out to be...


As far as I can tell, DON'T INSTALL Shozu on your iPhone. I couldn't get any Wifi-connection with it installed.

I wrote an e-mail to the developers, let's hope they can reprodcue this behaviour.


The Wordpress-App was released today, and as fair as I can tell, it works GREAT. So, no need for Shozu anymore.

Clean Finder's "Open with" menu

In case you find yourself with a long list of already uninstalled applications in your finder's "Open with..." menu, here's a quick fix:

1. Go to your Home/Library/Preferences folder

2. delete "com.apple.LaunchServices"


The list is generated by your Mac based on programs you install, but it doesn't update that regularly, so this list can get pretty bloated with apps you no longer need.

OSX Leopard sync-issue (the annoying exclamation mark)

Another resolved issue with Leopard....

At some time my Mac Pro just started to tell me there was a conflict when trying to sync with my .mac account. Ok, no biggie... yeah, right...

When I clicked on "resolve conflicts" the conflict-resolver app started up with a nice orange icon in my dock. App was running but there was something unusual... there was NO FUCKING WINDOW :)

Now what? There's obviously a conflict, there's an app to resolve this conflict but no way for me to do anything (kinda that's what it's all about - human/machine interaction, isn't it :)

A bottle of vodka later, I figured out what was wrong. To correct this issue, you must reset your synchronization history, which empties the so called "truth database" and leaves your system in a state which appears like it has never been synced before. This will force a slow, first time synchronization event when you next sync it.

To reset synchronization history just follow these 4 (quite easy if you found out what to do...) steps:

- launch iSync
- open the Preferences… dialog
- press the Reset Sync History… button at the bottom of the dialog
- sync with .mac